Saturday, April 18, 2015

Ron Riekki- Three Poems


Sometimes I Wish I Was Martin Luther

or Martin Luther King
or a king
or a perfect Lutheran

instead of all this struggling with faith I seem to do everyday
where I’m filled with
or

and
I wish I could tack up a 95 Theses
to my own life,

excommunicate myself
from myself
and leave me

with the comforts of the wildest of wildest blisses of grace
or even just
the soft peace of knowing.



The Craving of Friendship

It’s terrible, this wish
that the darkness
of loneliness

would leave me with-
in the hour,
that I could pour

God into all which
I interact,
my sadness cracked

along the width
of my soul,
leaving me with the whole-

ness in which
the sky
occupies.



If You’re Reading This, Please Pray for Me

Sometimes it’s like I have a ghost in my chest.
I want it to be Holy.

Sometimes my thoughts get cold as winter,
as if there is no infinity.

This poem is a begging bowl.  Each of your prayers
is the clink of a penny.



Bio: Ron Riekki's books include U.P.: a novel, The Way North (2014 Michigan Notable Book), and Here: Women Writing on Michigan's Upper Peninsula (Michigan State University Press, http://msupress.org/books/book/?id=50-1D0-3479#.VKZ4kmTF-PU), which features writing by authors Gloria Whelan, Sharon Dilworth, Echoe Deibert, Beverly Matherne, Judith Minty, and many incredible Upper Peninsula authors.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment