Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Ruth Z. Deming- Two Poems


HE IS RISEN

I open up my red door
where the choirs proclaim
He is risen
He is risen

Black crow from Nancy's lawn
Gray jacko from Bea's back yard
Woodpecker on the last of my maples
Cardinals swooping hither and yon
beneath the infinitude of gray sky
and sleeping Full Moon

He is risen
He is risen

Watcher of the skies,
I stand starstruck
on my little porch
smelling my lamb stew
in the kitchen
while my stereo plays
For Unto Us A Child is Born

Wonderful! Counselor!
The Prince of Peace!

My house is a place of
warmth, of life, of flowers
blooming on the window sills

My thanks ring out to
The Mighty God
The Everlasting Father
Hear my plea
Will there ever be an
end to strife and poverty
and hunger on this
earth?

The infinitude of the sky
looks down as one lone
dove dips his weary
head into the
bird bath



PRAYERS FOR DONNA

The rattlesnake of
Depression squeezes
her

Voice quivers
like a high-strung
violin

Save me
save me
she calls to
her Jesus

My voice
joins with hers
Save her
Sweet Jesus
before she
dies on her
cross



Ruth Z. Deming has had her poetry published in lit mags including Mad Swirl, Ray's Road Review and East Jasmine Review. A mental health advocate, she runs New Directions Support Group for people with depression, bipolar disorder and their loved ones. She lives in Willow Grove, a suburb of Philadelphia.

No comments:

Post a Comment